Our judge is playing the finalist games to determine a winner.
||Crafter Point Votes
Eric Jome, the host of Midwest Tabletop Game Design (Meetup and Facebook) and Protospiel Milwaukee presents the Game Pieces Only Challenge.
Let's get back to our game design roots and design a game without any fancy printing. Design a game using only bits.
The game should consist only of bits available through The Game Crafter parts store. This means the only printables would be a rulebook and a box; no cards, mats, tiles, stickers, or boards are to be used. Use of paper and pencil is strongly discouraged.
Eric Jome will be judging the contest. You can test your game with Eric at Protospiel Milwaukee a week before you submissions for the contest are due!
Here's the official BGG Forum Q&A about this contest.
To qualify, your game must comply with all of the following rules:
- You must use only bits available through The Game Crafter pieces and accessories departments.
- You may use up to 1 box of any size.
- You may use up to 1 booklet of any size for rules only.
- You may NOT use any other printable components in your game.
- You may NOT use customizable game parts, such as custom dice in your game.
- All components needed to play should be in the box; avoid asking players to have common on-hand components.
- You should be able to play the whole game without the box and only having the rules in mind.
- The cost of your game cannot exceed $39.99.
- Player count may be anywhere between 1 and 6 players. Supporting a wider range is better than a narrow one.
- Play time should be no more than 30 minutes per player.
- Any themes or mechanics are allowed; creative innovations encouraged!
- A rules document must be downloadable from your game's shop page and also included in the game itself. Can be in booklet or document form.
- A print and play version of the game is not required.
- The game must be publish ready (as it relates to our shop, not as it relates to being finished). This means it has a logo, backdrop, shop ad, action shots, description, and cool factors. It must also have all images proofed, and have packaging.
- This must be a new game created for this contest. It cannot have existed on TGC prior to the start of the contest.
- All artwork must be your own, commissioned by you, licensed to you, or in the public domain.
- All entries must be submitted through TGC's game editor (by clicking on the "Contests" button) no later than Noon UTC (6am US Central) on April 20th.
- Contestants may submit multiple entries to this contest. Each entry will be judged separately.
You retain all rights to your game and are welcome to sell it in our shop during and after the contest, regardless of the outcome of the contest.
The first round of judging is handled by a community voting process. The final two rounds are handled by the judge. See complete details.
Board Game Geek thread about the contest: New Board Game Design Contest at The Game Crafter: Game Pieces Only Challenge |
The winner shall receive all of the following prizes:
- $100 in cash (paid via PayPal by Eric Jome)
- Automatic Showcase status for their game on thegamecrafter.com.
- 100,000 crafter points.
- $50 of shop credit on thegamecrafter.com.
- The possibility of judging a future contest.
- Induction into The Game Crafter Hall of Fame.
One runner up shall receive $50 in cash (paid via PayPal by Eric Jome)
« Other Contests