Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to design board game (or card game) with a strong Take That mechanic. The winners will be announced and prizes awarded at Gamehole Con 2015.
At its core, the Take That mechanic is about hindering your opponent in some way. This could be denying the resources, taking useful items, giving them a negative affect, etc. Anything that makes it a bit more difficult to accomplish the win condition of the game. Some examples are: Cutthroat Caverns, Hex Hex, Nautilus Industries, Smash Up, Thrash-Car, and We Didn't Playtest This At All
More info on this episode of The Official Game Crafter Podcast.
All of the following rules must be followed to the letter:
- All games must be submitted through The Game Crafter’s game editor (by clicking on the “Contests” button) no later than September 8th, 2015 at Noon UTC (6am US Central).
- These are Designer Awards, not publisher awards. This means that the actual designer must submit the games and the awards will go to the designers.
- All submissions must be original and previously unpublished works, and they cannot have existed on The Game Crafter prior to the start of the contest.
- In the event of co-authorship, the physical award ("The Rodney") will be inscribed with up to two designer names.
- The game must be publish ready for our shop. That means it must have a logo, backdrop, shop ad, action shots, description, and cool factors filled out in the game editor. And all images must be proofed.
- Any artwork included in the board game must be your own, commissioned by you, licensed to you, or in the public domain.
- Contestants are welcome to submit multiple entries to this contest. Each entry will be judged separately.
- Your game must include a strong “Take That” aka “Screw Your Neighbor” mechanic.
- You are welcome to use any printed components or game pieces in our shop to create your game.
- Your game cannot exceed a total cost of $29.99.
- You must upload a publicly accessible copy of your rules as a downloadable PDF. In addition, you must include a printed copy of the rules in your game.
- Your game must include packaging. Any of our boxes will do.
- The entries will be judged by Jeff King and Jordan Steinhoff from All Us Geeks and based upon Overall Presentation, Playability, Unique Design Aspects, and FUN!
The winner will receive the following prizes:
- $100 cash
- a hand crafted Rodney award created by Albion Swords with their names inscribed on it ✠
- 100,000 crafter points
- $50 in shop credit
- a fully printed copy of the game ✠
- a copy of the game will be sent to Gamer’s Remorse for a professional review
- All Us Geeks will do a review video of the winning game
All Us Geeks will do a special podcast of all the finalists.
✠ While you need not be present to win, you will need to be present to collect these prizes.
What are the Rodneys?
Great question. They are the name for our just launched Gamehole Con game design award. If you look at any of our annual logos, you will see an armored fellow squaring off against some foe. At Gamehole Con command central, we have always called that guy, Sir Rodney. So, that will be the name of our game design awards.