Phase Shift Games is sponsoring a design contest explicitly crafted to push game designers’ thinking and creativity to a new level. We want designers to consider new ideas that directly push one or more dimensional envelopes. Here are some rough questions and ideas to get your neurons firing:
- Physical: Why are so many games basically flat? How a game can make better use of 3D space on the table?
- Space: Could a single game take place in different rooms simultaneously (that perhaps converge at the end)? Could a “board game” be designed to be played outdoors (such as at a park or beach)?
- Time: Could a game be played over an entire day or weekend, asynchronously while playing other "normal" games? Could a board game somehow be meaningfully tied to real-world time of day constraints?
- Intellectual / Emotional: Can a game create philosophical conundrums? Can a game instill primal fear or true tears of joy?
- Imagination: Is there a viable game universe that bears no resemblance to our own reality? Can otherwise mundane activities, such as grocery shopping, cooking, or driving to work, somehow be used as core elements / rules / mechanics within a game? What else can you imagine, that has never before been imagined?
Contest judges will include the two owners of Phase Shift Games, as well as other fine folks from partner organizations. A winning entry could be as simple as one with very few or tiny components, or it could be a huge game with 3D platforms and countless other components. What matters most to us is strong representation of pushing a dimensional envelope, and each submitter will be asked to explicitly state how their submission(s) achieves this goal.
To qualify, your game must comply with all of the following rules:
- Your game must push at least one dimension (as described above) of gaming past it's normal boundaries.
- In the description of your game on the shop page clearly state how it pushes boundaries.
- You may use any printables or game pieces.
- The total cost of your game must be less than $49.99
- Any theme or narrative is allowed and unique themes are encouraged.
- A rules document must be downloadable from your game's shop page.
- The game must be publish ready (as it relates to our shop, not as it relates to being finished). This means it has a logo, backdrop, shop ad, action shots, description, and cool factors. It must also have all images proofed, and have packaging.
- This must be a new game created for this contest. It cannot have existed on TGC prior to the start of the contest.
- All artwork must be your own, commissioned by you, licensed to you, or in the public domain.
- All entries must be submitted through TGC's game editor (by clicking on the "Contests" button) no later than Noon UTC (6am US Central) on September 17, 2018.
- Contestants may submit multiple entries to this contest. Each entry will be judged separately.
You retain all rights to your game and are welcome to sell it in our shop during and after the contest, regardless of the outcome of the contest.
The first round of judging is handled by a community voting process. The final two rounds are handled by the judge. See complete details.
The winner shall receive all of the following prizes:
- $250 of cash paid by Phase Shift Games.
- Automatic Showcase status for their game on thegamecrafter.com.
- 100,000 crafter points.
- $100 of shop credit on thegamecrafter.com.
- The possibility of judging a future contest.
- Induction into The Game Crafter Hall of Fame.
Second place shall receive $100 in cash paid by Phase Shift Games.
Third place shall receive $50 in cash paid by Phase Shift Games.
Phase Shift Games will consider publishing any number of the winning games, not necessarily in the winning placement order (depending on publishing complexity and other strategic factors). In this case, the cash prize will be applied toward an agreed royalty advance fee.