The community is toiling to build an impressive array of games for this contest.
Contest submissions have been closed pending the next stage.
We’re looking for the next great social deduction game. In a social deduction game, players are assigned hidden roles, after which they work to achieve the objective for their own secret role and/or the team their role is assigned to. Examples are:
It can also include games with only the chance of a traitor element such as:
You must create a game using the social deduction mechanic. The game can require a game master or not, your choice. You may use any theme, other mechanics, or components that you wish. The game should be explained in less than 10 minutes, and playable in less than 90 minutes. You may include any number of players that you wish.
The judge will be Heather Newton of Open House Mystery Parties.
To qualify, your game must comply with all of the following rules:
- Your game must use social deduction as a mechanic.
- Your game must be explained in less than 10 minutes.
- Your game must play in less than 90 minutes.
- The total cost of your game must be less than $59.99.
- A rules document must be downloadable from your game's shop page. Basic out of the box rules will suffice, so long as it's clear how the game is played.
- The game must be publish ready (as it relates to our shop, not as it relates to being finished). This means it has a logo, backdrop, shop ad, action shots, description, and cool factors. It must also have all images proofed, and have packaging.
- This must be a new game created for this contest. It cannot have existed on TGC prior to the start of the contest.
- All artwork must be your own, commissioned by you, licensed to you, or in the public domain.
- All entries must be submitted through TGC's game editor (by clicking on the "Contests" button) no later than Noon UTC (6am US Central) on August 12, 2019.
- Contestants may submit multiple entries to this contest. Each entry will be judged separately.
You retain all rights to your game and are welcome to sell it in our shop during and after the contest, regardless of the outcome of the contest.
The first round of judging is handled by a community voting process. The final two rounds are handled by the judge. See complete details.
The winner shall receive all of the following prizes:
- $500 of shop credit on thegamecrafter.com.
- Automatic Showcase status for their game on thegamecrafter.com.
- The possibility of judging a future contest.
- Induction into The Game Crafter Hall of Fame.
Heather has graciously provided the following scoring rubric for this contest.
- 1 point if, after game conclusion, all players feel their role could have had a chance to win
- Originality and Creativity
- 1 point if judge feels they haven't played this game before
- 1 point if judge feels little or no downtime during the game
- 1 point if the game creates tense player interactions
- 1 point if judge would play this game in the future
- 1 point if judge feels the components are intuitive to use
- Game Time
- 1 point if play starts smoothly within 10 minutes or less
- 1 point if entire play session finishes in 90 minutes or less
- 1 point if the game includes a thematic narrative and/or a tutorial module to teach the game
« Other Contests